Boneheads & Brainiacs
The inventor of lobotomy won a Nobel Prize for destroying brains. Another Nobel laureate thought malaria cured syphilis, killing most of his experimental subjects. A pioneer of organ transplants was an ardent eugenicist, while the founder of sports physiology heroically spoke out against Nazism. In a highly entertaining book written for the ordinary reader, Boneheads & Brainiacs profiles winners of the Nobel Prize in Medicine ―a surprisingly diverse group of racists, cranks, and opportunists, as well as heroes and geniuses.
About our speaker:
Moira Dolan earned her MD degree at University of Illinois College of Medicine, and was one of the few in her class to refuse the offer of a free stethoscope from pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly. She champions Informed Consent (and Informed Refusal) and advocates patients’ rights through her blogs and books. Boneheads & Brainiacs encourages a healthy skepticism when it comes to the hallowed halls of medical science.
We are currently meeting via Zoom!
When you register, you will be emailed the Zoom login info (which is different for each meeting) and can use your computer, tablet or phone to access. You do not need to download anything to participate. You need to be logged into your MBC account to register.
You are able to call in without video, but the best way to use Zoom, is to have your camera on and show your face. It will give you the greatest sense of connection and you'll have the best experience with it this way.
- Breakout rooms for networking in small groups
- Introductions & Announcements
- Have a wonderful Wednesday!
A few brief pointers:
- Create a free Zoom account before the meeting (you will not need to purchase anything to participate in our Zoom meetings.
- Log on about a minute or so before the session begins to get your bearings.
- Try and be in a quiet room and mute yourself if there is background noise unless you are speaking.
We look forward to seeing you!